Orlando Sentinel
by Mark Schlueb
April 10, 2011
The roofs were repaired long ago and the uprooted trees are just a memory, but nearly seven years after the disastrous 2004 hurricane season, Orlando City Hall is still trying to collect some cash from FEMA.
Long after hurricanes Charley, Frances and Jeanne blew through Florida in quick succession, officials with the Federal Emergency Management Agency and the state Department of Emergency Management continue to comb through invoices from truckloads of fallen tree limbs and stump-removal crews, trying to determine how much Orlando should be reimbursed for its cleanup expenses.
“If asked in 2004 how long I would expect the reimbursement process to take, I would not have said seven years,” Orlando Mayor Buddy Dyer said.
Over the years, FEMA has paid most reimbursement claims from cities, counties and nonprofit agencies for cleanup, rebuilding and other expenses related to Florida’s unprecedented hurricane season.
There were nearly 1,000 applicants — from a Kissimmee charter school and the Seminole Tribe to the University of Florida and Orange County. Most filed multiple claims for the three hurricanes — 23,187 in all. Those claims totaled $1.88 billion, of which $1.82 billion has been paid.
Palm Beach County, hammered by both Frances and Jeanne in just three weeks, collected the most: $81.4 million. Orange County wasn’t far behind, at $70.5 million.
But $18.1 million remains unpaid. According to data obtained from the state, FEMA still owes at least $10,000 to more than 50 applicants. Some are owed much more: Fort Pierce is still waiting for the biggest check, at $4.3 million.
That doesn’t include applicants such as Orlando that contend they are owed more than FEMA thinks they are due.
In Orlando’s case, FEMA has already paid $29.6 million during the past seven years. But Orlando officials are still trying to get the agency to pay another $115,000 in expenses that FEMA previously rejected.
Officials with FEMA and the state argue that the reimbursement process is a long one because it takes time to carefully review thousands of claims that involve so much federal money.
“It all comes back to making sure federal dollars are only used for eligible disaster-related expenses,” FEMA spokesman Josh Wilson said.
Still, officials in Orlando and elsewhere say the fact that it’s taking so long shows that FEMA’s system is broken.
Dave Metzger, who has been shepherding Orlando’s efforts to obtain reimbursement, remembers attending a briefing with officials from Miami-Dade County a few days after Hurricane Charley hit.
“This individual said, ‘It’ll be seven or eight years until you get this completed,'” Metzger said. “I remember thinking, ‘Boy, you guys must be very inefficient.’ But he was right.”
Metzger, in fact, was supposed to be enjoying retirement by the time the hurricanes blew through. He’d been the city’s public works director, but turned in his retirement papers a few months before the storms.
nstead, the mayor asked Metzger to stay on to handle the hurricane reimbursement process, and he was given a one-year consulting contract. That wouldn’t be nearly enough. Metzger’s contract has been renewed seven times, most recently last month. He’s been paid $594,000 since 2004.
“It’s been taking so long — that’s been the aggravating thing about it,” said Metzger, now 69.
Orlando had never seen anything like the trio of hurricanes in the summer of 2004.
For 12 weeks, fleets of trucks loaded down with debris from downed trees and limbs became a common site around Central Florida. Orlando’s contractors collected more than a million cubic yards of debris and trucked it to four temporary disposal sites. It was eventually ground into wood chips; some went to the landfill, some to a waste-to-energy power plant in South Florida, and some was shipped to Italy to be made into pressed board.
Collecting the debris was a monstrous undertaking. But documenting the work was just as daunting. FEMA guidelines required the city to record the street where each truckload of debris was collected.
And though all the trees and limbs from Charley weren’t picked up before Frances struck, and Jeanne followed before all the debris from Frances was collected, FEMA also required applicants to assign each truck’s debris to the correct storm.
For Orlando alone, that meant reviewing and recording more than 36,000 load tickets. For each reimbursement request, FEMA requires detailed worksheets that some cities and counties have complained are too cumbersome. Orlando filed 400 such worksheets, of which five remain unresolved.
Initially, FEMA denied about half the city’s claims for the cost of removing tree stumps. After two appeals, the agency paid more, but not all, of those costs.
State and federal officials say many of the outstanding claims still haven’t been paid because applicants had to wait for settlements from their insurance carriers, or because the repair work itself has taken a long time. The agencies also have to ensure taxpayer money isn’t spent to clean up private roads.
“The documentation needed to close out a debris project worksheet is required to protect taxpayers,” Wilson said.
Even so, some applicants complain that FEMA’s burdensome red tape is at fault. In contrast, the Federal Highway Administration, which reimbursed locals for some cleanup costs on federal and state roads, had a much simpler and faster process, Metzger said.
So far, FEMA has paid Winter Park about $11.5 million. Winter Park officials believe they are owed more than $1 million more, but FEMA has only approved about $181,000 of that.
“It has been extremely frustrating,” Winter Park spokeswoman Clarissa Howard said. “It’s been since 2004. We wish they would assign more people to this so we could get reimbursed.”
Staff writer Scott Powers contributed to this report. mschlueb@tribune.com or 407-420-5417.
To find out what your city or county received in FEMA and state money, search our database at OrlandoSentinel.com/hurricanedamage
http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2011-04-10/news/os-hurricane-cleanup-fema-20110410_1_fema-cash-fema-spokesman-josh-wilson-frances-and-jeanne